Sunday, February 7, 2010

Marin's first report card

Dear Marin,

A blog post by my sister-in-law got me thinking about report cards lately. Since its now been a year since we waited for you to arrive in the hospital lobby, I thought it might be about time to hijack your mom’s blog.

I know mom likes to get really sappy on this blog, so I’m going to try to keep it real for you. In the interest of preparing you for the years to come, I thought we’d look back and grade your first year.

Marin’s first year report card:

You stood on your own two feet.

Damn, girl! I wasn’t doing this until I was in college at least. And even then it was questionable. Way ahead of the curve on this one. A+

You are chatting up a storm.

I can’t say I’m not a little concerned that all this “talking” is going to turn into “talking back” in a few years. But let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. A+

You moved.

This was more of mom and dad’s doing. Why did they do this to you? Well, a lot of reasons. Its mostly about things like taxes, tuition, and dad’s affinity for power tools, but let’s not get into the weeds here on the blog. I know we’re living further apart now, but it was for the best, I promise. Plus, you showed great skills adapting to your new house and making new friends. A+ in this category.

We can take you anywhere.

I think this might be one of your best qualities. Remember when we took you here?

And here?

You even managed to get yourself invited on vacation twice. Well played. A+

You kinda lost it on your mom’s birthday.

I see you have a little learning to do in this area. I wouldn’t worry too much about it because your dad and I didn’t exactly learn it overnight. But here’s the thing: its all about mom on her birthday. You just gotta go with the flow, capisce? B- here. Sorry, someone had to tell you.

Don’t worry about the low marks on that last one. The best is really yet to come: I think your mom’s gonna let you have cake for your birthday. And since you’ve already been prepped for this, I think you are going to do really well.

Love you, baby girl.

Auntie Molly

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

So sweet Molly!!! Very well written!

Johanna said...

Love it!! Love the birthday bit, and I had nearly forgotten how I had to sit my 7 month pregnant self down in the middle of the millions of people on election night! So glad you've been with us on this journey this year. You're the best bestie ever. :) xo

Jessica said...

I started reading this thinking "Jo's sister in law wrote about report cards too?". Thanks for the shout out!
Marin is a lucky girl to have a great Mommy and Auntie Molly!