Friday, February 5, 2010

Nostalgic Nelly


Seriously, there is no one sappier than I.

I was just looking back to my blog posts from a year ago today about being all set and ready to meet "the baby". A year ago today we didn't know if it would be a boy or a girl. We didn't know when he/she would finally be here. Reading the post, I nearly cried. The truth is, I loved being pregnant. Even though I was sick as a dog, and uncomfortable and never slept and gagged at the scent of anything other than bland crackers, I still loved the experience. I changed my shampoo, my deodorant, I took all the candles out of our house. I ate crazy things that I had never liked before, I walked a different route to work so that I didn't have to smell the cigarette smoke outside my building.... and still, I loved watching my stomach get bigger; I loved feeling Marin move and kick.

I have talked a lot about change in the last year. Life has definitely changed since we had Marin. Everything about life has changed. The way I think has changed. Sure, I'm still the same person, but my world is totally new. Today it hit me: It's not new anymore. It has been a year. This is my life. And I have to tell you, to me, it's perfect.

So am I crazy because I miss the anticipation that I remember vividly feeling as I typed my post a year ago? Am I crazy because on the way to Ms. Kathy's this morning I told an infant who can't understand, all about the day she was born? Am I crazy because even given how painful it was (before my friend the epidural) I wish that I was having Marin all over again on Monday?

Maybe. Or maybe that is just a glimpse at how much I love my little Marin Jane; a fraction of how special she is to us. I am sure that every year on her birthday I will be the same way. February 8, 2009 was the greatest day in Jason and my lives. It was the day we became a family. The day we became three. What a journey is has been!

4 comments:

miabasile said...

I know, best day ever. So happy for you guys!

Emilie said...

Note to self, don't read johannas' blog at work, tears will flow :)

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Johanna -
I can hardly believe it's already been a year! Crazy! And, what a year it's been.... I love reading your blog. Since we are out of town, it is nice to feel included.

Thanks for sharing all your moments with me!

Love,
Elizabeth

Jessica said...

So sweet! Being a mom just gets better and better...you will never forget the day that she was born. Thanks for sharing so many sweet thougts this past year plus!