Monday, February 8, 2010

A letter to Marin: One Year


Dear Marin Jane,

Much like I did after you were born, I have shed a lot of tears of joy in the last few days. At your birthday party on Saturday I spent a minute watching you dance and hug your friends and walk around like you have 60 people in your house every day. Aside from being incredibly proud of you, I couldn't believe that you are the same little seven pound person that Daddy and I brought home from the hospital a year ago.

Watching you grow has been a great joy! I think I have laughed and smiled more this year than ever before. I have loved watching your personality develop. I have loved relearning about the world through your curious eyes. I have loved watching your face transform as you wonder, discover, love, question. Every second with you is a gift. And I feel incredibly lucky to be the recipient.

I can't wait to see what your second year has in store for us. And the year after that; and the next one... I can't wait to see who you will become. What will you say? What will you do? What will you learn? Where will we go? I can't wait to answer those questions together this year. And next year, I'll be sitting where I am today, reminiscing about the day you changed my life with a single cry; remembering the expression on Daddy's face when he looked at me at 9:14pm on February 8, 2009 and said, "IT'S A GIRL!!!!"; knowing for sure that a feeling of joy can be saved in your heart forever; and wondering what the next year will bring.

Congratulations on a fabulous first year! You are a miracle. I love you. Happy Birthday!

No comments: