Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Somebody Pinch Me

Seriously. Pinch me. No wait- don't! If this new gig is a dream, I don't plan to ever wake up!

One thing has been going through my mind the last few days- "Why didn't I do this a year ago?!" I maintain that if I had chosen this right out of the gate, I wouldn't have known any different and perhaps wouldn't have appreciated these wonderful, serene, gummy smile filled days as much. It feels a bit like vacation, only I get to do it next week too. And I can make plans during the day for August.

I know that not every day will be as bliss packed as the last few have been. Marin is going to get mouthy and one day maybe she'll have a sibling or two, and then my day will be a careful balance of schedules, time outs and never ending laundry. Plus, one of these days we're going to need groceries, and strapped down in a shopping cart is not Marin's favorite place to be. But for now, when it's just Marin, Norah and me and no schedule..... ahhhhhh. I have never been so happy.

Remember my old schedule? The one where I woke up, rushed to get ready, rushed to get Marin ready, rushed to daycare, rushed home, rushed to the train and then rushed to work? I am happy to report that I have not rushed anywhere in going on three days. In fact, Marin has slept in all three days now. Poor girl probably thinks I'm coming in to wake her up at the crack of dawn anytime now. In that time I have gotten stuff done around the house, emailed, drank a cup of coffee on the deck- just had a little me time. The only me time I had before was to and from work on a train car with an (often sweaty) stranger piled 4 cm from my face.

I decided in these first few days, not to make any plans to go anywhere or do anything. I thought it better to just enjoy the time with Marin before I muck it all up with schedules and to do lists. Here's what we've been up to in the past few days:

Monday morning Grandma stopped over with some "happy first day at home" muffins. She, Marin and I each enjoyed one together, and then Marin played dress up with jewelry. She especially loves bracelets. We Martin ladies like to accessorize, and we're starting this one young.

Monday afternoon, Pappy stopped by! He was in town helping Lindsay buy a new car, and he popped over to Geneva to see Marin while he was here. It was such a great Monday treat!

Monday night Grandma and Grandpa stopped by. Since they were used to picking Marin up from daycare on Mondays, I think they were going through a little Marin withdrawal. They brought Marin a new sprinkler to run through in our yard. It has pink flowers that stick up and move around.

Tuesday morning Marin, Norah and I hit the bike trails by our house for a long walk. We walked to Island Park to ride the swings and slide down the big slides. Then we walked along the river stopping to see the ducks, the pretty flowers, and a huge turtle out to catch some rays. We walked all the way to the dam. Marin loved the sound of the water; Norah tried to drink it.

We have been sitting over long breakfasts; we've walked to pick up Daddy from the train each day; we have played at the water/sand table. We've read books, played dollies, had a tea party, played with puzzles, and last night, Marin helped me fold laundry (still don't love laundry, but it beats doing it after a long day, or during a gorgeous weekend. Somehow weekday laundry is better than Sunday night laundry).

On the magnetic wall by our back door, I write a word for the week in Marin's alphabet letters. The week of my parents party it said "Forty". The week of the 4th of July it said "Fourth". This week it says "Staying home". It is the greatest thing to see every day. A reminder of this special time I have to be with Marin. Whether we are at home, or at the park, or out playing with friends- we'll be together. And you couldn't pay me all the money in the world to have it any other way.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like bliss! So jealous of your new gig. Have fun in MN - we're visiting my parents in Saint Paul for 8 days and love it there! See you next week with Miss Marin.

Jessica said...

I knew it wouldn't take you long to love it. I remember my first day home the same way..euphoric. Happy to report it is still wonderful- although I'm with you on the laundry task! Congrats.

Georgine said...

Good for you (and Marin and Norah too)! Looks like you are having a good week. Don't you love the mornings before they wake up. My favorite time.

The Vlachs said...

Crazy happy for you, girlfriend. Glad you're loving it so much. Megs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.