Friday, January 22, 2010

When Mom's Away...

Ms. Kathy has been sick, leaving our two-working-parent household high and dry. I stayed home with Marin Tuesday and Wednesday, but had to be at a conference yesterday and today that I could not miss. Without a second thought, Jason stayed home with Marin yesterday, and totally rescheduled his day today. And Marin gets to go to work with Daddy on the train this afternoon! Gotta love the 21st century man. Power to the momma!

Stay at home parents will agree, it isn't easy. Especially when there is an ice storm and you're trapped inside all day. I know that while Tuesday (the day when I work from home) is by far my favorite day of the week because I am able to be with Marin all day, it undoubtedly requires the most multitasking. Even considering that Wednesday might bring a meeting during a teleconference while answering emails and acquiring voicemails. But moms everywhere do it every day. I am no saint. And actually, I only have one child. A relative cake walk.

But back to my story. As I said, yesterday Jason was home with Marin. I left our house at 6:20am and arrived home at 7:30pm. And when I walked in the door last night, I was certain we'd been robbed. Except that Norah and Jason and Marin (asleep in Daddy's arms) were on the couch watching the History Channel, so my fears of finding them tied up in the closet while the thieves played tea party, quickly faded. Every single toy that Marin owns was on the floor, completely dissembled, in every single room. Two computers were out and running, Marin's not quite finished dinner was still on the table, along with her dirty bib; her high chair and the table were filthy. Tons of dishes were in the sink. Jason's lunch was on the counter. The peanut butter was out and open; the lid was across the room. When I went upstairs I saw that we had apparently run out of wipes, because the box was empty, and instead of replacing them, the small stash we keep in the diaper bag was out. The bed was unmade, the curtains were still drawn. Then I asked Jason if he had gotten the mail to which he shortly replied, "No! I had Marin!" That answered my question about whether or not the recycling bins had been brought in off the curb, or if he had time to go out and get more formula.

It's not that I am ungrateful. As much as I loath disorder, it was just a momentary mess. Marin was happy as a clam and all snug as a bug in her jammies, cuddled up in her Daddy's arms. And the two of them clearly had a great time. It just goes to show- when Mom's away, don't expect Dad to multitask.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I should have offered to take the day off today and watch Marin...I've really been searching high and low for a good excuse to take off, and here one was right in front of me! :(

miabasile said...

Working from home with the baby is tough stuff. Takes more multitasking than you'd ever imagine. I can ditto all of this when Ryan is home alone with Colin, but you know they had fun, just look around you.

Jessica said...

OMG- love it. Daddys are great! Love the description of the house... Hysterical!