Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You say goodbye and I say Hello!

I have never been good at saying goodbye. As a little girl, before we left vacation I would insist on going to say goodbye to the pool, then goodbye to the ocean, then the sand.... As an adult, I always am the one who lingers the longest on hugs before a flight departure of a loved one, and who never wants a party to end. I still have my high school boyfriend's letterman jacket in my parent's basement and at least four plastic tupperware tubs full of grade school, high school, and college memorabilia is stacked next to it (mental note: add "clean out my parents basement" to my to do list). You want me to be the last to know that you are moving. I'll definitely cry and possibly make a scene. Freshman year in college, I wrote a letter to my new friends before we parted for a month at Christmas break, that resembled that of someone going off to war. Need I go on? I just don't like saying goodbye. People that know me best know that nothing thrills me more than having all my friends in one place- aside from marrying Jason, that was my favorite part about our wedding.

It's no surprise to you then, that I don't particularly like the phrase, "All good things come to an end." It's not just that I think some major debbie downer invented the phrase, I just don't think it is always true. Why do all good things have to come to an end? Can't some things go on forever or die with us? I for one, think they can. Still, it doesn't stop Jason from using this phrase every Sunday night when I inevitably have the post weekend blues.

However, as you know, I am sitting in the middle of my last week of my career and unfortunately, goodbyes are inevitable and abundant. Now, don't get me wrong- I got an email last week that was so cookoo I was a little giddy inside that I would never have to worry about its content. But in general, I am sad to leave. Happy for the reason, but sad to actually have to pack up my desk. (sidenote: I'm thinking about taking the stapler as a souvenir. It's a really good stapler. Is this stealing?)

Last week my coworkers organized and surprised me with a little luncheon as a diversion from an already scheduled meeting. They all brought something to share, and presented me with a gift card to have one last shopping spree. It was tucked inside a card that they wrote such nice things in, that I read it three times and then double checked the name on the envelope to make sure the card was meant for me. I work with great people; it has always been my favorite thing about this job.

Marin's last day at Miss Kathy's was on Thursday. Of course Marin doesn't understand that it was her last day, so the day was really the hardest on me. When I dropped her off that morning she giddily said, "Oooooo! Tatty (Kathy)!" like she does most mornings. We feel so glad that Marin has had the experiences that she has had at Kathy's. Marin has truly made great friends and has had great fun! We were sure to thank Kathy for her help in raising Marin. Before Marin left, Kathy gave her a picture album with the word "friends" written on the cover. It was packed with pictures of Marin and her friends from daycare events and parties. There were pictures of everyone running through the sprinkler, one of Marin covered in spaghetti grinning widely, and some of them just playing in the yard. Kathy left pages blank at the end for Marin to fill when we come to visit. We love this album.

Goodbyes are never easy. Letting go is probably the thing that I am worst at. As I get older I know that it is the memories that will last forever and that all of the other stuff is just that- times four boxes that are cluttering up my parents crawl space. For this reason, maybe I should leave the stapler behind. But these goodbyes mean hello to endless days with Marin. And the only thing better than a goodbye that really is a hello, is Marin. Win, win, win!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Goodbyes are very hard. I always lose it when I have to hand in my keys. And, feel free to take the stapler. I have scissors from my days at FSU. Shhhh don't tell.

The Vlachs said...

Oh, Jo! It's so hard!!! Enjoy your last two days. Then begins a new adventure (and fun lunches in the city with your coworkers!). I'm sentimental too and (this sounds CRACKERS) sometimes I watch Hoarders to feel great about myself... ;) Love ya!