Monday, July 12, 2010

Friends and Cousins!

Friday night our friends Kelly and Tim and their son, Ryan came for dinner. Marin and Ryan are only three weeks apart, and had a great time playing together. They were together a lot when Kelly and I were on maternity leave together last year, and they have always enjoyed playing together. Kelly is due to have another baby boy in a few weeks and we were glad to have the time to spend with her before her life becomes an up-all-night state of wonderful delirium that all new parents know well.

After a dinner of delicious gourmet bleu cheese burgers, we put the kids to bed. Ryan fell right asleep in our pack n play with out a single fuss. It's always fun to watch the kids run around, and even better to be able actually talk after they are sound asleep. It was a fun night and great to catch up with friends!

Saturday afternoon, my cousin Nicki and her kids (my goddaughter, six year old Skylar and her sister, three year old Jada) drove from the quad cities for an overnight visit. Skylar has a story for everything and talks a mile a minute, and had us cracking up from the second she walked in the door. Marin and Jada had a great time giggling together, and Skylar kept a close eye on the "little girls". We kicked the day off at the toy store- just a quick walk from our house. Marin loved pushing all of the baby dolls around in their buggies, and when she ran right into a huge bucket of swords, Skylar rolled her eyes as she ran to help pick them up saying, "Babies are always making a mess!" After the toy store we grabbed a sandwich at the deli across the street. Skylar and Jada gladly shared their lunch with Marin, who was more interested in their sandwich than her own. After lunch we walked back home, changed into our suits and headed for the pool. Skylar and I went down all of the big slides together, following her very specific instructions for each one. "Johanna, on this one, I'll go down first and then you go down after me; I'll wait for you at the bottom before I swim to the side." and then, "Johanna, this time let's go down the middle slide and you go first and catch me at the bottom." and then joyously added, "Wanna scream our heads off on the way down?!" Jada and Marin bopped around in the more shallow water and went down the "baby" slides together and Marin showed off her fearless skills of dunking under the water, blowing bubbles, jumping in off the side, walking on her hands like an alligator and trying to fall so that she goes all the way under on her own, only to pop up cracking up, and try to do it all over again.

After the pool, we headed home where Jason made a delicious chicken dinner on the grill while the girls ran through the sprinkler and played with Marin's sand and water table. Topped only by Skylar and Jada singing songs on the deck steps as Marin danced along, smiling ear to ear. After dinner, we walked to Grahams for ice cream, which you know by now, is my favorite end to a summer day. But, you know, we did it for the kids. :) We loaded Marin and Jada in Marin's wagon, which Skylar insisted on pulling all the way there herself, despite the fact that the combined load weighed way more than she does. There was an international road bike race in town, and the girls loved watching the bikers zip around the corner at 50 mph while they squealed and clapped and cheered. We watched close by as Skylar told one inquiring older gentleman, "Marin is my cousin and Jada is my sister!" Then the girls chased and ran after each other up and down the sidewalk for a good half hour straight, until Marin finally melted down alarming us that it was time to go ten minutes ago. Skylar entertained Marin the whole way home and sweetly told her, "I know, Marin; I know." when she fussed. After a quick bath and a total hose down of the sticky ice cream covered wagon, all the girls piled in my lap and Skylar read us a book. Then, they went to bed and were all fast asleep in no time. Nicki, Jason and I stayed up for a few glasses of the delicious wine that Nicki brought us when she arrived, and my mom and dad stopped over for a quick visit at the end of their night as well. It was a fun day!

The next morning I made pancakes, since Jada chose those over waffles, and we all enjoyed them together before Nicki and the girls headed to Lake Holiday to visit her parents. Skylar, Jada and Marin hugged and kissed goodbye and Skylar told Marin, "I'll see you soon and miss you in the meantime", but it wasn't goodbye for long, because we followed right behind them a few hours later, as did the rest of our family, to celebrate our Grandpa Martin's 90th birthday! Every time I am with my grandparents- now both in their 90's- I feel so incredibly blessed to have had 32 years (and counting) worth of memories with them. And the fact that they are both so vibrant and relatively spry, really is amazing. I hope that Jason and I are driving ourselves together to our 90th birthday parties with our kids and grandkids all waiting. How incredible!

We were sure to get out on the boat yesterday and I rode the tube with Avery (7). We had a great time riding together, and I loved that she shared stories with me the whole time. At one point when we were going pretty fast she gripped the hand grips and repeated a loud, "I'm not afraid of anything; I'm not afraid of anything." Marin loved the boat ride and was totally relaxed and content with the wind whipping through her hair. Avery said that Marin would probably want to ride the tube in a few years, and volunteered to teach her how.

Marin slept long and hard after this busy, friends and family filled weekend! And it's a good thing, because we have another big week ahead!

5 comments:

Georgine said...

Am I missing the toy store? Where is it? IS that the Thomas store? (There is a deli across the street.)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Johanna said...

Georgine,
We just went to the toy department in Little Traveler and then to Michaelangelos deli for a sandwich.

Jessica said...

You are busy busy busy! Looks like so much fun:).

ps- random- but watching bachelorette last night...do you know the guy from Geneva?

Johanna said...

Jess,
Don't know the guy from Geneva. I think that his parents moved here like after he graduated, so I don't think he went to HS here or anything. Actually, pretty sure I didn't go to high school with anyone "bachelor" worthy. :) ha!