Saturday, May 1, 2010

What's the Deal With....

Sometimes when I am going about my motherly duties, it hits me. What's the deal with that?! So I ask you....

What's the deal with crib sheets: Why are they so hard to change? You need a degree in engineering and a medal of patience to get those suckers on. Last time I changed Marin's bedding I literally broke a sweat. And I know the mattress needs to be tightly fitted to the crib frame to be safe, and that bumper isn't doing me any favors either. But jeezaloo- changing the crib sheet is a doosie!

What's the deal with diaper rash: Last week Marin had it so badly that it seemed like Jesus Himself couldn't have cleared it up. I'll spare the non moms the details, but those who have rounded this block before know what I mean when I say that I blame the fact that she's teething. Luckily a recommendation from a mommy friend for Triple Paste applied as thick as butter, for about 5 straight days of constant application, did the trick.

What's the deal with potty talk: When did it become standard issue to mention Marin's rear end and rash issues all in one small sentence. I'm so sorry, Marin. That's just the normal glamour of mommy talk.

What's the deal with designers: I heard on the radio the other day that to boost shoppers moral (and likely, their pocketbooks) designers are cutting sizes bigger. So yesterday's 8 may now be a 6. What the heck? I thought I was losing weight, and here it turns out to all have been a lie? I am officially back on the ice cream.

Whats the deal with Target: Love Target. Bust how is it completely impossible to return to your car having only bought what you intended?! When I walk through with Jason he has to tell me to put my "horse blinders" on so I look only ahead and do not deviate from what we went in to purchase. That is seriously hard. I'd like to send this letter: "Dear Target, you are genius; I love you. Dear Target CEO, you are genius; I hate you."

What's the deal with the ABC's: Why are the ABC's sung to the same tune as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, which is also the tune of Bah, Bah, Black Sheep? Were song writers really that short on material all those years ago? Another thought: How old are those songs? A million? I wonder how many children have sung the ABC's? I mean think about that for one minute: My Grandma is 92 and she for sure sang them. And I imagine that her mom taught her, and did so because her mom sung them to her! Did you follow that? Anyway, that tune has seen some things

What's the deal with weeds: I could spend an entire day, sun up to sun down, pulling weeds (from the roots, the way my dad taught me), and all be darned if those suckers aren't right back there and then some in what seems to be the very next minute. Is my yard some sort of steroidal breeding ground for yard venom? Those suckers grow like crazy. The irony here, of course is that in the meantime I am all but breastfeeding the actual plants try to keep them healthy. We recently transplanted some peonies that I considered quietly singing to the other day to try to inspire them to grow.

What's the deal with Hallmark: Have you seen Hallmark's new mother's day commercial? I have seen it three times now and I have sobbed a little bit each time. I love the idea of keeping Marin's little cards in a sweet little box to look back on as the year's pass. I hate the fact that that means she's going to grow up and one day (wait for it- heavy sigh) leave me. (note: If you clicked the link above, my apologies for the bad recording- its the only one I could find on you tube.)

I wouldn't change life one bit. But sometimes you just have to stop and wonder, "What's the deal?!"

7 comments:

INNOCENTABULABULww said...

A bird at hand is better than two in the bush.

The Vlachs said...

Love this post :)

Lindsay said...

I was picturing Jerry Seinfeld reading this blog. :)

miabasile said...

I agree, I work up a pretty serious sweat when I change Colin's sheets. Usually, I ask Ryan to do it.

I'd like to add baby shoes to this list. Why are they so hard to put on and stay on? I have one pair that will actually stay on Colin's feet, so I only use those.

And, why are humidifiers so unreliable. I swear the one I got from Walgreen's is better than the really expensive ones. Plus, why do you have to clean them so often. Ours is disgusting after three days.

Brittany said...

ROFL this cheered me up immensely XD

Jennie said...

Love the blog, Jo! I am the biggest fan of zip sheets by cloud 9, you can find them on diapers.com (one of my other favs)...all you have to do is zip off the top part of the sheet and presto chango. I invested during Benjamin's "shitty" illness and never looked back! Jennie

Johanna said...

Jennie,
You very literally may have just changed my life. Amazing find!

Mia, I second every word you said.

xo to all,
Jo