Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day


Do you ever have one of those days where you just think you are the luckiest woman in the world? I know that it is hard most days- with coordinating schedules, demanding jobs, teething toddlers, and a laundry pile so big that I swear it is growing on its own... but sometimes I stop to realize that the existence of those things are exactly the reason that I am lucky. People to love, a home to care for them in, and jobs to provide enough underwear to put off doing laundry one week. Yesterday, Mother's Day, was one of those days when I couldn't help but be thankful for this crazy life.

Although it was my second mother's day, it still didn't seem real that I was among those that we celebrated yesterday. Isn't this my mom and grandma's day? But as we woke up to Marin's little coos over the monitor and then the "ma-ma-ma-ma's" I was reminded in the greatest way, the reason I celebrate mother's day. Early that morning we snuggled in our jammies together and I thanked her for being the little miracle that made me a mommy. Then Jason pointed out that technically, he's the one who made me a mommy. Luckily Marin's too young to question this.

Jason and Marin made me homemade waffles for breakfast, and then presented me with a gorgeous wooden bench for the backyard. I am already dreaming about reading books in the shady nook in our yard, perfectly suited for my bench. After Mass, where Marin was thankfully very well behaved for about 98% of the time (and screamed bloody murder the other 2%), we headed to my parents house for dinner with them, my grandparents, Jake and Katy and Lindsay. Jake and Katy filled in Jason's gaps and presented me with my baby bling- a blue raspberry ring pop and the world's largest candy necklace. I wasted no time getting starting in on those bad boys.
It was a quiet and beautiful day of celebrating the mother's in our lives and remembering those that are no longer with us. A lot of our house projects were put on hold, schedules were minimal, and although, the laundry did not wash itself, I feel lucky to have slobber stains to scrub and baby bibs to fold. They are signs of a mother.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I just want to take Marin home with me and squeeze her! She is such a cutie. Glad you had a nice Mothers Day....you are a fabulous Mommy!

The Vlachs said...

So glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You deserve it!! (Laughed out loud at Jason technically being the one who made you a mommy. You married a funny dude.) Love, Meg

Georgine said...

Johanna,

Get the Zoku. We love it, the blueberry yogurt pops were great. I think we may try mango-creme today. Read your blog all the time, just don't get to comment a lot. Hard to type with one hand (Charlie is in the other). Oh, there is a good recipe book too at William Sonoma - "Ice Pops." See you soon!

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Marin is precious. I love that first picture of you and her. Sweet! You guys looked like you had a very nice mother's day. I feel like you do though....sometimes I still think this "holiday" is not for me, but for my mom and all those other women in my lives. It still feels surreal that I, too, am a mom!