Friday, May 28, 2010

Project Update IV (and few extras)

I'm back with the latest on the project updates. Jason and Bill have not disappointed! I walked in my yard last night and literally said, "whoa". There's a long way to go still, but that did not stop us from eating dinner out there last night. It also didn't stop Bill from doing a "runway" dance on the strip of decking that we call by the same name, since it's a perfect runway-esque stretch from the raised eating area piece to the sliding door.


The granite was installed yesterday in the wine bar. Now we just need to touch up the paint, finish adding the hardware, install the lighting, buy the beverage fridge, and accessorize (my personal favorite- I have a real soft spot for the flair).
I can't wait to see what will have changed by the time I get home tonight! We are a little behind, but that's okay. I fully plan to bribe my dad to help us finish. I'll be sure to continue to post project updates. It better not take too long, though, because my roman numerals get a little hazy around 15.

A few other things....

As Jason and Bill have been working their guts out, I have been working overtime in keeping Marin away from the power tools that seem to multiply. She insists on being in the yard to keep a pulse on the action, and I can't blame her. To make sure she doesn't end up taking a nail gun to the foot, I have to watch her like a hawk. She moves incredibly fast.

The other day she started to wander and instead of trying to keep her corralled in a small area of the yard, I decided I'd just follow her. This must have been liberating to her, because as she ran down the sidewalk she literally squealed in excitement. And that little stinker walked me right to the park, all on her own. After the park we rounded the block a few times. She loves the neighbor's dog, and gives it hugs through their fence while she says, "awww".
--------
At a recent trip to my parents house, Marin wandered back to my parent's master bedroom, which to her is a thrill that I imagine is on par with a petting zoo. She loves to play and explore the room. When I followed her to make sure she hadn't somehow tarnished my parents white silk upon white silk bed linens, I found Marin in their bathroom. The scale caught my eye. Since Jason and I don't own a scale, I can't remember the last time I stood on one. I decided I'd see if I should permanently give up candy. But I couldn't believe how low the number the electronic display showed. I wondered if maybe I wasn't standing on the scale all the way- maybe it read the number when only half of my body was on the scale. But the same amazing number displayed itself the second time. Maybe I had lost a little weight, but my (slightly fabricated) drivers licence doesn't even say that I weigh this little! Happy Dance. I was definitely going to march down to the DMV to have my license reflect my new hot girl weight. But... it didn't add up. So I put Marin on the scale. She had just been to the doctor a few days before, so I knew that she should weigh 21 pounds. I made her stand really still- and the scale read 8 pounds. Dammit! I knew it was too good to be true.
--------

Marin has proven herself a true trooper. Last Sunday, while Jas and Bill worked on the deck, my parents and Marin and I went into the city to attend Pentecost mass outside with 3,000 people. It was incredible. It was also incredibly hot. I was basically baptising Marin all over- pouring water on her head. But she just sat in her stroller, eating blueberries drinking from her water bottle. What a good girl! She also loved running in the wide open streets before mass started and we loved the wonderful experience. Old St. Pat's in Chicago is such a special place.
--------
A little note for the ladies in the audience: I was thinking about Hanky Pankies the other day. I honestly love them. In fact, when I die, I want to be buried in them. (side thought- do you wear underwear under your clothes in the casket? What if you are cremated? Do you get cremated commando? Take note that I do not want to do either while commando. I'd like to be wearing my Hanky Pankies.) In my opinion, they are a true gift to woman, and ingenious for mothers. Not only are they so comfortable that I often forget they are there, but they don't ever, ever bulge- so there is no "a baby used to reside here" evidence across your middle.

Good underwear, a great church, a happy baby and a husband who makes a tool belt look sexy- life's so good, I almost don't care that the scale lied to me.

1 comment:

mia said...

Love Hanky Pankies. As I used to grab for my body covering maternity underware, I would always gaze longingly at them. Also, scales are fine for babies, but I'd say avoid them. Getting on one is a good way to ruin anyone's day.