Friday, April 30, 2010

Girlfriends...

Dear Marin,

In your life you will make many friends. I can tell this already as I watch you interact with people around you. You already share nicely. Last weekend you fed Elise your cheerios. You love people, and you love to play.

Girlfriends Marin, in a word, are priceless. Foster them, nurture them, cherish them. It is my hope for you that you have wonderfully rewarding and respectful relationships with your girlfriends. There is no substitute in the world for girlfriends.

I feel very fortunate to have what I consider the very best group of girlfriends anyone could ever ask for. I am reminded of that often. Sometimes Auntie Molly will send me a note at the very moment that I truly need her. Your Auntie Mika knows more about me than she probably ever wanted to know. I am not afraid to tell her anything. Auntie Erica and I often laugh until we cry and I know that I can always be truly myself around her. Auntie Emilie helps me at every turn, no matter how crazed I may be. Miss Sarah Kiep and Miss Katie McSherry are girlfriends mommy always can count on for absolute FUN.

Last night, I went with Auntie Joey to Miss Sarah Maxfield's house to meet Miss Sarah's new beautiful baby, Logan Michael. I am telling you, there are times in your life Marin, where you will just become overcome with joy for your friends. Last night was one of those nights. I love spending time with your Auntie Joey. It always feels like I just saw her five minutes ago. I loved spending even the little bit of time with her that I did last night. I relish, as I often have for my newlywed girlfriends, in the fact that she and Jeff are truly happy and meant for each other. And Miss Sarah's baby Logan is perfection, Marin. I can't wait for you to meet him. He's quite the looker, too! I don't think it is possible for one person to be happier for another, as I am for Sarah and Eric and beautiful baby Logan. And we're about to experience that joy all over again in a few weeks when Autie Mika's baby arrives!

You will make girlfriends at turns you didn't expect, too. That's how it happened with mommy when I met Aunt Lindsay and Aunt Katy. I hope you experience the same joy I have in seeing your brother so in love as Uncle Jake is with Aunt Katy, or your husband relate to his sister as only Daddy can with Aunt Lindsay.

Marin, I hope as you grow, that you will also find friends like this. Friends that understand you, and know you, and believe in you. Friends that think you are better than you sometimes believe you are. Friends to laugh with and celebrate with. Friends that you know you can count on no matter what. Friends that go out of their way to meet you for a quick drink in the middle of a busy week, like Miss Hannah does for me. Friends to swap mommy stories with, like Miss Megan and Miss Kelly. Friends that are consistently the first to wish you a happy birthday, like Auntie Joey. Friends that remind you of the standard that you hold yourself to, and expect nothing less, like Auntie Molly.

And I hope someday that you will think of me as a girlfriend too. I already know you will be mine. My mom is my girlfriend, too. Because no matter where life takes you, your girlfriends will always be there to remind you of who you are, and of who you want to be. I'll say it again, Marin: Girlfriends are priceless.

2 comments:

Joey said...

So Sweet Jo...I feel the exact same way! So lucky to have you in my life:)

The Vlachs said...

Looooooved catching up on the phone yesterday morning and overhearing you be a mommy with Marin. We are so BLESSED! I treasure you, girlfriend. Love, Meg