Thursday, April 8, 2010

Curiosity Strikes

I'm curious about something here. It's half fueled by my inability to let anything go, and half by the sting of realization that I can't just announce my wishes to make them appear. (and if any of you can; we're officially not friends, and I'd like to know what world you live in.)

Raise your hand if you got a "push present" or "baby bling", which is the term I prefer. I don't care if it cost five dollars or five thousand dollars. I want to know if your husband gave you a present after you became a mother. And sure, the baby is joy enough. But we're talking material here, people. Madonna told it like it is- we're all a little bit material some days. You know it, and I know it.

Here are the requirements to "count":
1) it can't be something that you bought for yourself and then said was from him.
2) it can't be something that the two of you were going to buy anyway. (like my husband likes to say he bought me a house. Sorry charlie, doesn't count.)

I'm talking about your husband, in the few quiet seconds you had after your little miracle arrived, sitting you down and handing you something that he thoughtfully chose to thank you for gaining 30 plus pounds, throwing up around the clock, sacrificing what you ate and drank for 9 months, sacrificing how you slept for 9 months, inevitably being the designated driver for 9 months, and then going through 30 hours of labor, which most likely included the worst pain you've ever experienced (and that we all know he could never handle). It's been 14 months to the day for me- I think it's safe to say, it aint happenin.

Again- if you've been reading my blog for longer than a day, you know that I was over the moon thrilled to do all those things. And I have no doubts that you were too. And of course it's all worth it. It's no secret that I love my husband and my baby girl more than life itself. This isn't meant to be "rip on your husband day." But I'm just curious if he put a ring on it (or a necklace, or a teddy bear... whatever the case may be.)

Enlighten me, will you?

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Three kids...no push present(s) here! Good luck on future babies (presents) for you:)

Jason said...

this is totally going to turn into the 'book reading' blog entry. Jason 2 - Johanna 0.

Elizabeth Chilson said...

I don't think it ever entered Mike's mind. He has a hard enough time trying to figure out what to get my for my birthday, anniversary and christmas - all which are in the same month.

Women who get these type of gifts from their husbands probably bought it themselves, or nagged their husbands until they felt guilty, which really doesn't count as thoughtful.

miabasile said...

No gift, but ours was less than planned.
He did manage to bring me a purple stripped shirt and red pants, which I wore the entire time I was there. I'm just hoping they knew my husband dressed me.

Liz Delzell said...

Nope, no push present for me. My SIL made a suggestion (a necklace), but Jeff said it wasn't my style. Apparently, *nothing* is my style... which probably speaks volumes about my style. :)

My SIL (Jeff's brother's wife) just had her first baby in February and her husband gave her a ring with the baby's birthstone. It was nice, but... oh my God, I guess it's TRUE... not my style. :)

Erica said...

Ha Ha. OK I'm a little late on this, but no, I with you, did not get baby bling. And, like you, I was secretly hoping for SOMETHING. I do think he might have gotten me flowers (perhaps after I suggested that they would be nice). :)

The Vlachs said...

I could hardly wait to see how people commented! I've always wondered if I'm selfish and material for wanting push presents SO much more than I would ever care to admit. Sort of got one with Mads (waited nine months and dropped lots of hints. Does that even count???) and nada with Charles.

Jennifer said...

Oh excuse me Jason but the 'book reading' things was Jason 2 Johanna 1:) Be fair, cause my hubby is one that reads BOOKS......lol

second of all I have 4 kids and I got something after each birth....maybe not enough woman have time reading this blog cause were off reading(:) but I think Neil also bough Val a gift after babies as well...In matter of fact she got a TIFFANY necklaces after Finely. So Johanna..I think you would be better off sending this one over to Face book if you wanna win!!

and remember Johanna our true gift as mothers are waiting for us when we enter those heavenly gate.

jenn