Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Potty Training Trainee

I am honestly not kidding when I say that it was easier to potty train the dog, than it is Marin.

A few weeks ago was Spring Break from school and our library class was on hiatus between the winter and spring session, so we had a whole uninterrupted week at home. I decided to capitalize on the opportunity and bite the potty training bullet full speed ahead once and for all. You may recall from this post that Marin has been sitting and going on the potty since she was 18 months. It was just her lazy mom that didn't get her act together to actually train her. Who me? Yes me.

The thing is- even though diapers are gross and a complete drain on our landfills, they are easy. Every pregnant woman's dream- something easy for a change. Let me tell you what isn't easy- pushing an entire cart of groceries into the bathroom at Costco with a toddler saying "Potty time! Potty time!!" while racing across the entire 148,000 square foot warehouse 9 1/2 months pregnant in hopes that you get there in time (luckily, we did). Still, even so, I guess most things in life that are worth doing aren't easy. Certainly parenting isn't always easy, and it turns out potty training is no exception.

Santa brought Marin some Minnie Mouse underwear in her stocking at Christmas time. Santa must know that mommy has a tendency to get behind on the laundry, because he also brought princess underwear and Hello Kitty underwear. Aunt Lindsay gave us more Minnie Mouse underwear at Marin's birthday, so we definitely weren't short on supplies. Marin prefers the Minnie Mouse underwear and calls them "Minnie Unders". My neighbor, Georgine, turned me on to the plastic pants to put on over the minnie unders for short trips away from home. That way, if we did have an accident, at least the plastic pants would contain most of the mess and her actual pants would stay dry. Best tip ever. Freed me from the confines of my home. Thanks Georgine! She also gave me this book "Diaper Free Before 3" which I had all intentions of reading cover to cover, but mostly just skimmed it for the parts that applied to me, only to learn that is the author's intention.

We talked up a big game about wearing the Minnie Unders and keeping our Minnie's dry. There were obviously a few set backs. There were more than a few accidents. And yes sadly, I did have to touch some poop. But I tried very hard to say that accidents happen and that we'll clean this right up and move on to the next pair of Minnie Unders... and pants...and load of laundry. :) Luckily we have all hardwood floors, otherwise we would have definitely ruined some carpets by now.

BUT I am happy to say that today Marin is probably 95% potty trained. She wears a pull up for naps and nighttime and to school, since although her teachers are totally helpful with the potty training, I am not 100% confident that Marin isn't too distracted at school to tell them in time. She has been coming home with dry pull ups and has been sitting on the school potty, so once this is a little more consistent, we can start wearing the Minnie Unders to school. And when Marin has to go potty, no matter where we are- recent funeral, grocery store, Home Depot- you will find me racing to get her there as fast as I can. She gives you about two seconds notice.

At the end of a really good week last week, and her first poop on the potty when she told me she had to go (hooray for avoiding the worst mess ever!) we went to Graham's for a special treat. She proudly told the lady at the counter that she went poops on the potty. I promised myself I'd never use the word "poop". I hate the word. But for now, if its two year old talk that will get a two year old to go, then poop I will say.

I have to say, I am so proud of Marin. But the thought of possibly only changing one set of diapers in about three weeks, makes me downright giddy. And patting that cute little undiapered bottom is about the most adorable thing ever.

5 comments:

Georgine said...

Go Marin (and Johanna). You are so right, nothing cuter than baby buns in undies - OK, naked baby buns are pretty cute too.

Liz Delzell said...

Marin is a rock star! Love her Minnie Unders... Ben was SO STUBBORN, so I know how hard to can be - for BOTH parties. :)

Lindsay said...

Hmmm...cooking in the unders...I might have to try that out in my new kitchen.

Jean Chilson said...

Would you rather she told everyone she did feces in the potty? Poop's a great word.

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Yay Marin!! So proud of her. Drew's favorite underwear is Buzz Lightyear. So, if Buzz is what is going to help speed along the process, bring it on!

I hope you are hanging in there. I think about you often.