Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Marin's first day of daycare...

We decided that it might be best to ease Marin into daycare. Instead of her first day being a long day, she could go a few days for a little bit at a time so when it came time for her to be there all day long, she was used to being there. Now, I realize that it doesn't take a genius to read between the lines here to realize that this scenario also really works for my piece of mind. And it helps not to have to go back to work after three months and take her to daycare for the first time, all in one day.

So yesterday was the big day. It was a tough one. Jason and I took her together. I had a bag full of her things, all labeled, and a note on the bag describing its contents. If they wondered if I was going to be "one of those", I guess I really showed all of my cards at once. I wanted to go back and get her about five minutes after we dropped her off, but I realized that not only would it have been counterproductive, it would have been crazy. And I didn't want to show my crazy card just yet.

We wanted to do a trial run of the timing of everything how it would be when we went to work, so here it was 8:00am, and I was dressed, had my hair dried and had makeup on. To top it off I wasn't pushing a stroller, or even tugging on a dog's leash. What to do? In the time she was gone I was like a lost puppy. I decided I had to busy myself to squelch the thoughts of going back to get Marin. So I went to Starbucks, ordered a drink, read the paper cover to cover and the sat outside Crate and Barrel waiting for it to open six minutes later. I mean, come on, like you wouldn't have done the same thing. I know you would have.

A few shops later, I decided it was safe to come home. After all, I had to hide my purchases from Jason. (Only kidding, honey) :) Once I was home, I did our laundry and Marin's laundry plus washed the rugs in both bathrooms as well as our sheets. I emptied the dishwasher, loaded the dishwasher, made the bed, wrote in some of Marin's books that I gave her, tidied up our house, took way too many pictures of the dog, checked my bank statement online, and baked banana bread. Then I went to pick Marin up. When I got there they asked if I had lunch or got a manicure. Those would have been much more fun that laundry. Why didn't I think about that?

Marin was sleeping like a perfect little buttercup when I arrived. I'm sure she wished that I had waited so that she could finish up her nap and say goodbye to her new friends. But I couldn't wait to get her home so that I could kiss her cheeks some more and tell her how I hated being without her.

I am so proud of Marin for adjusting well to daycare. Sure, she's just a baby. But it is a different place with different people. And even if she didn't know the difference, I'm just telling myself that she likes it better with me. :) Plus, having her home was a welcome reward for having completed all my chores.

Today we took her back again and it was a little easier. I went to the gym and came home and soaked in our whirlpool for two hours. Heaven. She'll go back again tomorrow and I don't know what I'll do then- maybe I'll have to learn how to cook a roast or something. Friday she'll be with me again all day. It will be our last day together, so it will be strictly devoted to reading books, singing songs, and smiling at each other. I have to go back to work on Monday. I don't know where the time went. It is true what they say; time flies when you are having fun.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Jo- I am so proud of you for making it through the day! Good luck on Monday...I'll be thinking of you:)

miabasile said...

Good for you. I'm scared to go back. 1. I think I have forgotten what I even do there. 2. I'll miss Colin so much. 3. No one will sit next to me at lunch...no, that was high schoo:))