Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's in a Name?

Many people have asked us about Marin's name. We love it. We think it is very feminine and different without being overly trendy. And although it is unusual, we think it has a very classic feel. So where did we come up with it? Here is the breakdown:

Marin: I heard this for the first time on a movie about 5 years ago. I can't remember the movie title, but it was a nondescript easily forgettable chick flick. I just loved the name. I asked Jason if he liked it too and although he admitted he did, he refused to discuss or name our unborn, unconceived children. Fair I guess. :) I never forgot the name, and the minute we found out we were pregnant I asked Jason if we could name her Marin if it was a girl. We also have friends whose youngest daughter's name is Marin. When Lindsey was pregnant with her and they told us that she would be named Marin, I said how much I loved the name as well. Luckily they didn't mind sharing the name. And yes, I asked before she was born. :)

Jane: Marin's middle name is after my mom. My mom is a huge part of our lives and is very special to us. I am very close to her (we talk about three times a day) and Jason has become very close to her as well. I really hope that Marin and I will have a similar relationship as she grows. Jason and I both feel very grateful for this special bond with my mom and to honor her, decided to name Marin after her. Marin and my mom are very bonded already, and we just know that they will go on to have a really beautiful relationship as grandma and granddaughter.

So there you have it. We aren't telling the boy's name that we had picked out, because we are still going to save it if we have a boy someday. (After we have well forgotten about 2am feedings and uncontrollable crying. :)) We struggled a bit with how to spell Marin, but decided in the end to stick with the traditional spelling. It also looks a lot like Martin, my maiden name, so I sorta like that shout out as well. It is pronounced mar (like you are beginning to say Mary) in, as apposed to mar (like the Spanish word for sea) in.

And speaking of Miss Marin Jane, here is a recent picture since that is what everyone cares the most about anyway. :) Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

she is so precious.
love the name.
and she gets cuter every time I see her:)

I'm so happy to see a new mama enjoying motherhood. makes this mom here proud to see because I just love being a mama myself and it's so sad to see other mothers treat it as a burden! So that's for sharing to others how wonderful it is to be a mother.

blessing to your family
Jennifer

Jessica said...

Jo- Marin is really angelic. What a beautiful little baby. I love your updates and wonderful way of looking at everything! Enjoy your time with her:)

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Was the movie Somethings Gotta Give w/Jack Nicholson? I'm watching it right now on TBS and Amanda Peet's character is Marin.