Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We have a heartbeat! (and a new due date)

Last Wednesday was our appointment to hear the baby's heartbeat. At first, the doctor was unable to hear the heartbeat with the little machine that they put up against your stomach. (Clearly, I am not in the medical field- pretty sure that's not the technical term, but it works well enough) Natch, I began to get nervous, but the doctor assured us not to worry, that it was like trying to find a tadpole. When the first machine didn't work, he went to get another machine. When that machine didn't work, I started to panic a little bit. I kept looking over at Jas like "What is going on!" and he just kept smiling back at me and winking, trying to assure me that everything was going to be okay.

Our doctor recommended that I have an internal ultrasound to see what was going on. The ultrasound tech assured us that she was going to be very honest with us, so that if she said it was good news, it really was good news. Sure enough, it was good news. I have never been so relieved in my whole life. We heard the baby's little heart beating loud and clearly, and very fast. It. was. amazing! We even got to see a picture of the blood running through its tiny little heart. Always the joker, Jason asked the technician if we could tell what its favorite food was from the machine too. Not just yet. :)

In the ultrasound they were able to measure the little sack, and apparently we aren't as far along as we thought we were. So we weren't able to hear the heartbeat from the machine up to your stomach thingy because it was too early. BUT- the good news is that the heartbeat was there, and strong and at the point in the pregnancy where we are, that means less than a 2% chance for a miscarriage. Music to our ears. Our new due date is February 12th. It set us back a few weeks on the morning sickness tracker. Just when I thought it was almost over. Ugh. But, I'm taking it one day at a time

The darling ultrasound tech gave us a big hug and our baby's first pictures. Upon receiving them our doctor jokingly said, "Congratulations, here's your blob." It really does look like a blob right now, but to see everything going on on the screen was fabulous none the less.

9 comments:

The Vlachs said...

Johanna!!! I love your blog! You're so FUNNY!! I devoured every word the second you sent me the link (and will continue to do so!). Your joy pours out of my computer screen ;)

Unknown said...

Congratulations, here's your blob. That's hilarious! :) So funny!!

I am so sorry you got that scare. I know too well what that really is like :( So so happy you got good news. I'll never ever forget my good news with Noah. I feel like I kinda relived it just now reading about your good news :) Jas is so funny. Of course he was such a man :) He is good at staying calm in tough situations. You go, Jas!

Congrats again to two of my favorite people. Your blog is going to be a hit, Jo. I posted about you on my blog . . . so many already love you, so they'll be a comin' your way :)

xxoxoxoxoxo

(How's the El been lately?)

nic said...

Congratulations!! This is the beginning of the rest of your fabulous life!!! (Don't worry, the yucky tummy feeling does not last long, and even if it does, it's worth it!)

Katie said...

So glad for you, Johanna! I guess, meeting you with Val at MP, I've known you almost exactly as long as you've been pregnant!

Once the sickness subsides and the intense, constant hunger sets in, I've found peanuts-and-raisins to be a very handy purse-filler! Best of luck to you three!

Unknown said...

I keep coming back to read your comments :) Glad Katie came over to see you! She's too cute :):)

ohAmanda said...

I'm here from Val's...

Congrats on your little baby! I had the internal u/s, too with my daughter. *shudder* So glad you got to hear the heartbeat!

Alexis Jacobs said...

Loving the blog already. Congrats on the blog! :)

Unknown said...

I think I've had 500 internal u/s's in my time. They're nuttin', Amanda ;):) (love ya, A!)

Michelle said...

Jo-Love the blog! So happy for you and Jas!! Congrats!

Can't wait to follow you along your journey! :):)