Monday, July 14, 2008

A scare (with a happy ending!)


Never underestimate the power of family! My parents took us all to Green Lake, Wisconsin for an extended weekend get away together. We stayed right on the water in a gorgeous home belonging to very generous friends of theirs. We had a great time, as we always do when we are all together. Sometimes I think I revert to a kid again at these occasions- seeing who can make the biggest cannonball splash, can I dunk Jake and still have him think it's funny, "Dad, will you please get in with us!".... the whole nine yards. We play card and board games until we say, "Oh my gosh, it's __ o'clock already?!" It's a good time, and Martin Moments (as we affectionately call them) always prevail.

This past Saturday between a family picture organized by me (and my handy tripod) accompanied by the usual light hearted groans and the "are we done yets" of my family, and a spirited game of boys vs. girls catch phrase, I started bleeding. If you know me, I don't do anything calmly, so naturally I freaked out.... but my family was there for me in every way they could be. Never underestimate the power of family.

I called the Doctor on call, and she was very patient with me, asked a lot of questions, calmed my fears, encouraged me to rest and not do anything strenuous, and to go to the emergency room in the morning. I am forever grateful to her; it was late on Saturday night.

After a small walk with my ever calm Dad, where he said all the right things, just as he does in every crisis situation, and lot of good prayers and hugs with my mom who is ridiculously nurturing, I did fall asleep, wondering if I'd ever be as good a parent as they are.

Jason is very good in these situations, and almost exactly opposite from me. He never over reacts (I inevitably ALWAYS do), he never jumps to conclusions (I prepare for the worst) and most of all, he knows what I need to hear to be assured that no matter what happens, we have each other, and that everything will be okay. As my dad said on Saturday night, I am lucky to have him. No one could love me more than he.

Poor Jake and I fell from the same bush, so to speak. He was just as upset as I. Jason and Katy are cool, collected cucumbers; Jake and I are emotional, babbling fools. Still, in a scare, sometimes it's good to know that there is one of your kind out there. Thinking just as you are.

We went to the emergency room on Sunday, and after five hours of exams, ultasounds and blood tests, being wheeled here and there on the gurney ( a first for me), and waiting for all sorts of results... we are just fine! I am okay and the baby is okay. We feel so blessed.

It turns out that Jason isn't the most patient person in the emergency room. I think I'll have to add "activities for Jason during delivery" to my list of things to plan in the next 6 1/2 months. One sight at a 24 hour labor, and that kid will be toast. Bless his heart.

It also turns out that being in the emergency room for five hours on a Sunday is a little bit like being on the set of Grey's Anatomy (returning in September- yay!) There was a drunk guy next to me that got into a fight and lost 4 teeth (Emergency room nurse: "How did this happen?" Drunk guy: "I'll tell you what happened, I was talkin' $hit and some guy punched me out. I usually the dude that do the punchin', but I couldn't swing at him this time." Emergency room nurse: "Did they give you anything for the pain?" Drunk guy: "They didn't give me nothin'! Says I still have too much alcohol in my system or somethin'. (then to his infant grandson: "Don't you go off to grow up and be like your granddad!')") There was also a baby crying (poor thing) and then Jason had to chime in with his impersonation of a baby crying (strangely similar sound), there was some guy handcuffed in the bed, and a policeman was guarding his door, and there was some sort of announcement "ER ALL ALERT. CODE 888!" No clue what that means, but glad that it didn't apply to me.

All in all, not a good way to spend a Sunday, but with a happy ending. I haven't even met the baby yet, and already I am worrying like crazy. How will I ever survive it's teenage years?

6 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

Wow! What a scare for you guys. Glad everything is okay. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Aw, Jo! So glad Baby P is okay. I assure you that deep down, Jason was freaked the F*** out as well - Pattersons are just good at faking it.

Debbie said...

Jo,
The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Matthew. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that kind of worry during your pregnancy. We are thrilled with the happy ending.
Did anyone tell you that you become a mommy once that test reads "pregnant"...Welcome to the "Worried Mommy Club." I'm happy to have you!
Love you!
Debbie
p.s. Being a worried mom just means you will be a GREAT mom!

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree with Debbie. (Debbie, you're awesome!) But maybe that's because I worry all the time. I hope that means I'm a great mom.

Jo, I'm sooooo glad everything was okay. You take it EASY, sister! I have said it once and I will say it again, take it EASY. You don't want bed rest. I've been there, Alexis has been there, no fun, unless of course, American Idol is on and Val can come bring you lunch and sit in bed with you and eat greasy fries and drink milkshakes :)

This is another hilarious post. I loved the replay from the ER. And Jason crying like a baby, I can see it now. Oh how I feel so lucky to know you guys and LOVE you guys.

Happy weekend to my beloved friends.

Jennifer said...

Hi , I'm a friend of Val's..I bleed with 3 out of 4 pregnancies, so try not to worry to much...

Sweet Cakes said...

I'm so, so glad everyone is ok! I know this had to be terrifying for you. I've actually had a little "spotting" but nothing serious. Take care of yourself and that little baby (which I know you will)!!
Love you,
Holly