Thursday, June 24, 2010

Luckily, we're still in Kansas - er, Illinois!

Few of you will remember this post from a few years back when "the baby" (now Marin) survived its first tornado.

Well, yesterday Marin survived her second. I was on the Metra train on my way home from work. NOT the place you want to be when you have a baby in the basement at her daycare, a husband (and brother and sister-in-law) at the airport, a dad working at an outdoor festival and the tornado sirens are going off. We sat on the tracks for over an hour, while the conductor filled us in on the storm touching down basically all around us. There were 75mph winds, crazy rain, firetrucks everywhere and the sky was the color of an avocado.

Everyone is okay. My mom was able to rescue Marin for Kathy's basement and took shelter in their house, and everyone we love got where they needed to be without harm. But whew. That's a moment for us moms. There's a tornado and you aren't with your baby. Thank God for Grandparents!

4 comments:

miabasile said...

I heard the sirens, saw the weird sky color and continued to ride my spin bike. Today I was told what the sirens were for. Clearly, not for an idiot like me, who went on my merry way.

Jessica said...

How scary for you! Glad everyone is safe! What a fabulous Mom you have.

Emilie said...

So glad that everyone is ok!!!

The Vlachs said...

Scary!!!!!! I can relate to that feeling! We don't have basements down here in Nashville so when the tornadoes rip through, I feel so exposed and terrified. Glad you all are okay :)