Monday, June 29, 2009

Father's Day (one week later)...

Last week, when people were wishing Jason a Happy Father's Day for the first time, he kept saying, "Father's Day is for my dad." It reminded me of the first time I met his dad when I shyly offered, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Patterson." And he shot back, almost as a scold (although the nicest possible scold), "Mr. Patterson was my dad; call me Bill!"








Although when Jason woke up last Sunday, and I wished him a Happy Father's Day, I asked him how it felt, and he admitted that it did feel special. And it should have. Jason is a great Daddy. Marin and I are the lucky recipients of his generous love and comfort.

When you choose a man you will marry, you know his attributes and how they compliment your own. For me, it was Jason's sense of wit, and laughter that really won me over. His sense of responsibility and delicate care for me let me know that he'd be a great husband. But I didn't really have any idea about what kind of a father he'd be. Sure, he made jokes with my goddaughter about how she was going to turn into a pumpkin if she ate pumpkin pie. And I remember a warm hearted moment on a quiet night in Wisconsin when Jason fished at the end of the pier with his cousin's son. But not until Marin was born was it really confirmed that Jason would be an absolutely amazing father. What I have learned is, it is the same reasons why I fell in love with Jason, that have made Marin googoo for him as well. He is playful and fun. He is kind and gentle. When Marin was only a few days old he was the first one to pop out of bed and run to her side and quietly calm her sweet frightened cries. As she grows, Jason is always the first to play with her and test what she can do. Where I want to keep her clean, and safe; Jason knows better to let her explore her new world and discover on her own. Jason has great pride in Marin. It is largely because of him that she thrives as she does.

As a mother, it is an incredible gift to know that your child sees their father as the superstar of her life. When Jason enters a room Marin follows him all the way across the room and beams when he comes to her. I am eternally grateful that Jason sees Marin as the most important thing in our lives. As a wife, I feel immensely lucky to get to embark on this journey of parenthood with Jason. He keeps me grounded. He keeps me calm. And he loves both Marin and me wholeheartedly.
This Father's Day was special not only because it was Jason's first, but because we were able to spend it with both of our dads- together. Last Father's Day we told our families that we were going to have a baby. How quickly a year goes. This year, we revelled at how much a new life changes the entire dynamics of a family. As always, Marin was the source of much joy on Father's Day. Jason and I feel very lucky not only to be very close to our dads, but to each have a grandfather in our lives. Along with our dads, they both have taught us a lot about the people we are today.

As Jason realized very quickly last Sunday, Father's Day absolutely is for him. And he's right, being a dad is special. And it's all because of his Mare-bear.

Jason, you are truly a terrific father. I hope you know how important you are in our lives. We love you to the moon and back.

1 comment:

The Vlachs said...

What a beautiful tribute to Jason. I was smiling and my heart was softened the entire time I read it. You are both wonderful parents. The love you and Jas have for eachother is the greatest gift you can ever give to Marin!