Monday, June 1, 2009

As seen on TV...

I have a not-so-secret, secret to share. We have our condo on the market. It's not really a secret because, well, it's not a secret. But it feels like it is because I haven't talked about it before now. But Marin really turned on the charm recently, and it may have us one step closer to "the land of grass".

Allow me to explain.

Our realtor's associate is friends with the producer of the WGN morning news. Through that grapevine we heard that WGN was doing a segment on real estate in the current market, and how it is a great time to buy. They wanted to highlight 5 or 6 places in good areas that are a good value. Our realtor submitted our property, and it was chosen.

So last week WGN came to our condo to film the segment. Jason and I were abnormally excited, not only because it is a great opportunity for exposure, but because we are fans of Ana Beleval, the news reporter who came. (Jason likes her because she is smokin' hot, I like her because she's spunky and fun.)

When they arrived, I was nursing Marin (what else would I be doing). So I quickly finished that up and went to greet the crew. Instead of greeting them in a way that is appropriate and gracious- the way my parents raised me to speak (i.e. "Welcome to our home. Thank you for coming.") the excitement of hearing Ana's voice at my front door as Jason let her in and I put my shirt back on got the best of me, and as I approached her I literally said, "I know I just heard Ana Beleval in my house!!!" Who am I? It was one of those moments where I wanted grab the words as they were coming out of my mouth and stuff them back in. If I am so dumbly star struck by my local news reporter, I better hope that I never run into Jennifer Aniston on the street. Who knows what I'd say to her. Luckily I had the sense not to tell Ana that she was even prettier and skinnier in person. That's the ultimate backhanded compliment, and I was thinking that, too.

However, at the time of my non filtered babble I was holding Marin in my arms, and her overall darlingness (new word) won Ana Beleval over enough to dismiss my diarrhea of the mouth. Marin was smiling back at Ana from ear to ear and couldn't take her eyes off of her. This prompted all of us to launch into a conversation about feeding schedules and sleep patterns; comparing our mental notebooks on parenting a newborn baby. Ana commented on what a great baby Marin was and touched her little hand as we talked. Over the course of our conversation I was able to compose myself and we were sure to thank them for coming and make certain that they had everything they needed to make themselves at home.

We left fifteen minutes later, to let them film the segment. I was too busy recovering from my awkward introduction to think to ask Ana for a picture with Marin (which would have been perfect for this blog post, not to mention her baby book!) but I think Marin may have left her mark after all. They decided to film the entire interview at our condo, so we are told that there should be a lot of coverage of our place, which will hopefully result in a sale. Either way, it was Marin's first brush with a celebrity and she was way more composed than her mother.

It is set to air tomorrow (WGN, Chicago channel 9) at 7:40am, 8:40 am and maybe 11am and possibly tonight at 9pm. Tune in if you'd like, or set your DVR just for kicks. I'll see if I can post a video here after it airs.

It seems that everything we do now is for Marin. In this case, we'd like her to have a yard where she can run with her dog as she grows older. We call it, "the land of grass". Poor girl does not know such a thing exists, but she may have just had a hand in getting us there.

4 comments:

The Vlachs said...

How cool!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Jessica said...

OMG- you are so cute! Good luck!!

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Jo -
Your blog makes me laugh. Do you find yourself looking for funny things to put on the blog? Good luck with the house sale! I am sure after the airing of the interview it will be sold in no time. See if you can post the video I'd love to see it.

Love,
Elizabeth, Mike & Drew

Lindsay said...

I saw it!! So cool!!!