Monday, January 12, 2009

Nesting?

First of all, Happy New Year!!! This is going to be a good year ahead! If only I can figure out how to be a decent mother. :)

So at our birthing class (where Jason learned as he famously puts it, "where NOT to look") we heard about "nesting". Nesting is apparently what women do shortly before they have the baby. Apparently they get a sudden burst of energy and want to clean out some closet or something. Now, to me, this seems totally normal. I love to organize. Why wouldn't you want to have that closet organized before your life changes drastically? So Jason and I joked that I would be "nesting" and not know it. Still, in my head I decided what I would tackle once I was nesting. You know, always good to have a plan in advance. :)

This Saturday I went to put our new bottle drying rack away under the kitchen sink, and in search for the perfect spot, realized that it was completely unorganized under there. So I got down on the floor and took everything out, threw out, sorted, scrubbed, and put the appropriate items back neatly. Halfway through my project, Jason left to go on a run to the Home Depot to get some hardware we needed to hang some shelves in the baby's room. When he came back he found me in our bathroom doing the same thing under those sinks, looking completely ridiculous. "What are you doing?" He asked. (I keep these candles under my sink that I cannot STAND the smell of since I've been pregnant, so I had to tie a bandanna over my nose so that I would not breathe in the smell while I was sorting under the sink.) When I told him that I had also torn through the linen closet and proudly showed off the fruits of my labor, he laughed and said to me, "Is this that "nesting" that they talked about?" When I stood up a few minutes later and had a look at myself in the mirror I realized that he must really love me. Not only did I have the bandanna on over my nose, but I was unshowered, still in my pj's (consisting of my cousin's old Duke Lacrosse t-shirt and Jason's flannel pj bottoms-- one of the only things that fits me for sleeping these days) and had my hair slicked back in a bun literally right on top of my head, and my bangs secured by a bobby pin. I looked horrendous and hilarious.

I finished up my sorting, and filled 3 huge shopping bags worth of junk from under just those three sinks and our linen closet. Then I realized that I had sorted what I was supposed to save to sort when I have the burst of energy nesting right before delivery. Jason was sure that I'd find something else to organize, and I'm sure he's right. Then Jason said that our neighbor, Emilie had just stopped by and wanted to see the baby's room. Jason said, "I told her that maybe she should stop back later" and then carefully proceeded with, "I didn't think you'd want me inviting her in.... considering.... your current appearance." I cracked up. "Is that your way of telling me something? Don't you think this look is glamorous?" He just replied, "Honey, I love you, but right now is not your finest moment."

I knew right then that I had to share this story. So funny. I thought about taking a picture so you all could see just how truly ridiculous I looked, but it was seriously so bad, I couldn't pull the trigger of self mutilation. :)

Ah well, a few minutes later I enjoyed a long soak in the whirlpool, happily knowing that my bottle drying rack fit perfectly in it's new home; that the expired medicine in our cabinet had all be purged, and that all my travel toiletries are together in one spot. And, my husband loves me just the way I am. Even when I impulsively clean our cabinets looking totally crazy. All in a days work.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Feel free to wander over to good ol' Southport & Wrightwood if you run out of things to organize. :)

Elizabeth Chilson said...

I had some serious nesting as well. My issue was the closets...they all needed a good overhaul. I can't wait for your little one to get here. It is so much fun.

The Vlachs said...

Your best post yet. Hilarious!!!! And sooooo sweet.

(By the way, I'm in c.a.n. (crazy a*$ nesting) mode too! And since I'm not an organizer by nature, the signs are totally unmistakable!)

Liz Delzell said...

I have to be the messiest slob on EARTH and I was a NUT cleaning before Ben arrived. I think I need to get pregnant again just to get my house in order!

You really have such a way with words - I love reading your posts. You know who's going to love reading these words even more?

Your baby. :)

Lindsay said...

On another note--looks like that "bag of bags" you have came in handy...

Unknown said...

omg, Jo, that is SO funny! I can so vividly picture you with that bandana around your nose, too :)

Unknown said...

lol at Lindsay..*I* have bags of bags, too!!!