Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Enjoying the last few days as two...

Well, I have been officially "full term" (reached at the 37 week mark) for about a week now, so they say that we can start to expect it "any day". Of course, my due date is still 16 days away, so we're not exactly calling in family yet, but we are definitely working on packing our bags, and watching for signs. About 20 weeks ago, at our last ultrasound, they told us that it could be as early as February 2nd. Yes, that is Monday. WHAT?!

Still, I don't really feel like it will be next week. Maybe the next week. Of course, what do I know? This is all new to me, too. I'm just focusing on knowing when I am truly in labor.

While talking to a recent girlfriend, Meg, who has a two year old and is due to deliver #2 in early March, she told me how she and her husband went to a coffee shop before their first was born and just sat and read the paper. Something simple that we really wouldn't be able to do quite the same again for a long time. I mentioned this idea to Jason and he thought it sounded great. So, we headed to Starbucks on Sunday and sat for HOURS. Jason did work, and I read the paper cover to cover just about, plus caught up on some of my favorite decorating magazines. It was nice. There is something about passing the paper back and forth (a la- "can you believe what our governor did now?!") that is so soothing and almost ritualistic.

The irony, of course, is that the Starbucks by our house was loaded with children and their parents. And I couldn't help but peek up from my newspaper every once in a while to listen to their adorable dialogues with their parents and ooh and ahh over the sweetness of their little faces tucked between winter hats and big puffy coats with the mittens hanging down. One little girl reminded me of something that my mom (always on the lookout for a good spot) would appreciate. She was with her grandma and she saw an open table. The little girl swooped in, sat down right away and yelled across the way, "Look Grandma, I found a table!!" Another little darling was singing "Ring around the Rosie" in between sips of her chocolate milk. I can't believe we are going to have one of those in just a few weeks.

Of course, we're not literally getting one of the children in the Starbucks, and ours won't speak or sing for a long time... but we are going to have a child in a few weeks. Something that will grow up to sing the songs we sing to them, and say phrases that make us giggle only because we are their parents. I think I can do that. :)

I say this all, of course, with trepidation. Watch us have the a terrible child that absolutely won't sit still and hates to sing. That won't happen, right? Let's just pretend that option is off the table for now. It will help me get through the labor if you tell me he/she will always be perfect and adorable. :)

And so, in the next few days we are doing a lot of things like this. Things that will be a little different after two become three. I think it is making us really appreciate the "two" that we are, all the while filling us with excitement to meet the little person that will make us "three." Fingers crossed that we'll be able to remember this for perspective after he/she arrives. :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That sounds so nice and relaxing! So glad you got to have that time. Can't hardly believe the little one will be here so soon! :)

Sarah Halbesma said...

I remember the last few weeks were full of anticipation and excitement. Blessings on the days ahead, keep me posted and enjoy!!!! : )

Alexis Jacobs said...

I can't believe how close you are getting. I can't wait to hear about all the details :)

Elizabeth Chilson said...

Don't worry Johanna...you will always think your child is perfect and adorable, no matter what.

And, definitely enjoy all the alone time because pretty soon there won't be any of it :)

Can't wait to see the little one.
Love, Elizabeth

The Vlachs said...

I feel like a celebrity as the "Meg" in your blog entry :) What an EXCITING time you are entering into! We are SOOOOOO happy for you! Love, Meg