Friday, July 1, 2011

What's In A Name- Emilie Mae

We've heard them all; from "old fashioned" sounding to "country". So why Emilie Mae? We think it is feminine and classic, but just a little different. Most of all, it is a name with a special meaning to us. Like we did for Marin Jane, here is the breakdown of the name we chose for our sweet Emilie Mae.

Emilie: This was a "new" name for us. As in, it wasn't even on the list of names we considered for Marin. I really like Kiera, and was totally sure that would be our girl name for a long time. Then Jason decided that he didn't like it with Patterson. He thought that Kiera Patterson sounded too Chicago. At first I fought him on it, but the more he said it, that became all I could hear. Wah-wuh. We couldn't agree on many names. I also liked Greta. Jason's response to that suggestion was, "You mean like Hansel and Greta?" Cue the quick lesson in Children's Literature, please. I also liked Emery which Jason said sounded too country club and Rory which he hated all together. (Please don't be offended if these are any of your children or relatives names. Jason is a wonderful man, but he doesn't always have the best taste in everything. ;)). I really liked Emerson, but you just can't have an Emerson Patterson. Somehow one of us threw out Emilie, we both liked it, and it stuck. We talked about whether to spell it Emily or Emilie, and we decided we liked the ie better. It is just a little different, and for some reason just feels like an entirely different name than Emily to me. I know that sounds crazy, but to me it just does. We have a dear friend, Emilie, so that's really the first we had heard of spelling it with an ie. Thanks Emilie, for letting us have your name. :) A lot of people have also asked the origin, and yes, it is French. It's actually a very common name in France. That really didn't have any play into why we chose it. I'm so glad we did choose Emilie, as soon as we met her, it seemed to fit her.

Mae: Mae was Jason's mom's middle name. This was really important to us to honor his mom by choosing Mae as the middle name. This was never debated. No matter how much the first name was discussed, we always knew that Mae would be the middle name. I asked Jason if he wanted to use Mae as the first name, and he didn't, so we didn't. This picture on the left is an infant Jason with his mom, Laura Mae. It's one of my favorite pictures. And yes, Jason and Lindsay look just like her. Although I never knew Laura, I have really tried to make a point of getting to know about her by asking Jason's dad and aunts. From what everyone agrees, she was fun, energetic, happy, sweet, loving, talented, and kind. And she loved her kids. What better person to name your child after? I promise my children will always know about Laura. It is my very true hope that the stories of her fun, special spirit are passed on to them, and that they live their lives with as much luster and kindness as she did.

So there you have it. Emilie Mae. And we think it's just perfect for our little angel.

Oh, and no, we're still not telling what the boy's name is, just in case a little brother is ever in the cards for Marin and Emilie. And yes, it is the same boys name that we had picked out had Marin been a boy.

8 comments:

Liz Delzell said...

Oh I LOVE name stories! Emilie's name is gorgeous and the story behind it is so sweet. SO glad I'm not the only one with a husband who nixes names! :D Ben's name would have been Marin had he been a girl and when Marin finally came around, there was no discussion, so I understand why you didn't share the boy name - and I hope we get a chance to hear it some day (c'mon little brother)! :) xox

Georgine said...

Love this post. Love the name Rory. Would have named Charley that if B hadn't named her Charley. Love Emery and Emerson too (though I know why you couldn't do it). I always liked Emmett for a boy (my Dad's name). Mike nixed it. Heck, my Dad didn't even like it. And anything is better than what my Mom wanted to name B - Tammy Lynn. Really, a country singing stripper? (Apologies to any Tammy Lynn's out there.)

Jean Chilson said...

Laura Mae would be so proud of you and the children and thrilled to share her name.

Elizabeth Chilson said...

One of my most favorite parts of being a mom is picking out the name that will be with them forever. I love the name Emilie. I especially like the name Mae. I think it is beautiful together. I also love that it was Jason's mom's middle name. So special. What a gift to give her. If we had a girl we would have most certainly have used my mom's name. But alas, it seems my family will only have boys. Miss you. Looks like you are doing wonderfully. Love, Elizabeth

Emilie said...

Emilie with an "ie" is completely different name than Emilie with a (y) ;) love her middle name too:) miss you all!

Jessica said...

I loved the name Rory too....Jay convinced me that it sounded like you had marbles in your mouth when you said "Rory Herold". End of that name for us:)
Emilie Mae is a perfect name. Love the back story of how you chose it!

Beth said...

My best friend's name is Emily, and I have never for one second thought that you gave your daughter the same name. :) It really IS different!

The Vlachs said...

Love love love Emilie Mae's lovely name and it's significance. It's both elegant and playful, strikingly feminine, but strong too. Perfect.