Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our Third First Date

The first being well, our first date, the second being our first date after Marin was born; Jason and I had our third first date (first date after Emilie was born) on Friday night.

My mom and dad agreed to clear their schedule, put on clothes that could be spit up on without worry, and hunker down to watch the girls so that Jason and I could enjoy a night out on the town. And when my mom said, "Take your time; enjoy yourselves." we did, by stayed out past midnight. It seemed like a great idea, until the 2am feeding when I deliriously fed Emilie and silently cursed myself for not crawling into bed earlier.

But c'est la vie, we had a fabulous night together. I'm a lucky gal to be married to that boy, and the night was a perfect reminder. And yes, you know that regardless of the fact that it was our first time out together without the girls in a long time, we talked about them at length. But only long enough for each of us to reiterate how blessed we are to have this life.

We sat outside and had a glass of wine on the patio of a wine shop, and listened to a live guitarist. Then we ate dinner at a tiny little no-way-could-you-ever-take-your-kids-here fabulous restaurant where we shared many small plates and enjoyed suggested wine pairings. I put on what Marin calls "fancy shoes" and a skirt that requires dry cleaning; a large diversion from my usual t-shirt and shorts. If it weren't for the words "You should have seen this other thing they did...." spilling from my lips every minute, you may not have known I was a mom at all.

I am so grateful for my life! And for my mom and dad living close enough and being brave enough so that Jason and I could enjoy each other without bouncing a baby on our laps, or lulling one back to sleep by rocking a stroller back and forth.

1 comment:

The Vlachs said...

WHOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!

(Okay, now I'm envious. I want to go on a date too...) ;) So glad you and Jas went out and had so much fun! You deserve it!