Monday, July 29, 2013

Advanced Maternal Age

Well, I guess I'm officially old.  At 35 I am considered to be of Advanced Maternal Age.  Hilarious, right?!

It means I have to have a few extra tests and steps and that a few more tests are offered to me.  One thing I have to do at this stage is have a non-stress test every week that I remain pregnant.  As if I'm so old that the baby must be stressed out in there just thinking about it.  It's not pretty, but it's totally painless. 
There I am- hooked up to the machine, pushing a little button every time I feel him move.  It takes between 20 minutes to an hour.  Awesome.

Here's the bottom line: Let's get this kid out already, huh?  I don't want to make the baby come before he's ready, but it really is time.  It's not just the non-stress test.  I have horrid heartburn and carry tums with me around the clock.  I stopped sleeping weeks ago, although I can get rest if I prop myself using 4 different kids of pillows, I still get up to go to the bathroom at least four times a night.  And the sickness.  Oh yeah, it's still there.  Every. Single. Morning.  I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant.  Times 7 days a week.  That's 266 days of waking up feeling like garbage.  Have you ever had the flu?  It's a bad day, right.  Yeah this is 266 of those days.  Talk about feeling old.  Although really since about 20 weeks I have only been getting sick in the mornings, so it really isn't that bad.  It was about 90 days of the flu, and then just flu-like in the morning.  Once I get sick I usually feel much better, and by noon I'm totally fine.  Still, even waking to a hungry, poopy, crying baby will be a welcome change to waking up and throwing up.

The good news, and the most important news, is that the baby is totally healthy.  And we're ready for our meet and greet!  Hopefully he doesn't think I'm old too.   

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I snuck in a few months before 35 with Nate but they told me late 34 was about the same...so I had to endure those tests too. AND...Nate also chose to be the latest of all the babies to come out which was torture bc as you must know, everyone assumes baby #3 will come early. I was miserable. I ended up induced for the first time at 42 weeks. Ugh. I can tell you though he has been my most patient child yet :). Hang in there!!