Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Bright Spot!

You know that often last line in an email or letter that reads, "If I can help you with anything else at all, please feel free to let me know."?  When I received the swim lessons parent handbook via email last week,  that was the last line in his letter and I decided to take him up on it.  I called to ask if Marin could take swim lessons in her dress.  I explained that she had recently been diagnosed with a mild case of Sensory Processing Disorder but that she loved swim lessons, hated the swimsuit.  When the director told me that she could take the lessons in her dress, "as long as she upheld modesty", I cried tears of joy.  Pretty sure he thought I was nuts.

When Marin woke up from her nap I gave her the good news.  She screamed with excitement.  Literally she screamed.  Then she told the whole house, "Guess what, I have great news.... I get to take swimming lessons in my dress!!!"

And bless her little heart.  Marin all but skipped to swim lessons the next day and proudly stood in line with all of her peers dressed like she was going to church.  And you have to love the three to five year old set.  Do you know that not a single one of them said a word to Marin about why she wasn't dressed like them?  They didn't give a woop what she was wearing.  Perhaps that something for us adults to take note of.  The genuine kindness of the young and innocent.  

Marin has since graduated a level in her lessons- from Dolphins to Ducks (I agree, it should be the other way around), which she is extremely proud of.  She practices her freestyle arms in the water saying, "leg, arm, clap!" as her arm rotates high into the air beside her.  After lessons she spews facts and happiness about all that she has learned.  She loves her teacher so much, that she made her a picture this morning.  And the teachers are equally proud of her- telling me what I already know- that she LOVES to jump far off the side.

It has been the bright spot in our summer for sure.  





3 comments:

Georgine said...

I am so happy for Marin!!!!! I really pays to ask doesn't it? It is a good thing that I always forget.

Lindsay said...

This post makes me want to take her and give her the biggest hug ever...breaks my heart to think she could've missed out on swimming lessons. So great that they understood!

Liz Delzell said...

Hip-hip-hooray for Marin and her swimming lessons! She looks uh-mazing in her swim-dress... and she clearly understands that no matter what you're wearing, you're never fully dressed without a smile. ;)