Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

No, I am not in labor.
No, I am not happy about it.

At this point, waiting to meet the baby, and find out the gender, and count his/her toes, and kiss his/her cheeks, is like TORTURE. Two things that I know for certain that I am not good at are: 1. sitting and 2. waiting. Doing both simultaneously this week has not brought out the best in me. Yesterday, I literally ran out of things to do. What are you supposed to do when your to-do list is clear, your house is clean, your laundry is done, your child is sleeping, you're supposed to "take it easy" and you can't stray far from home? I'll tell you what I did. I went a little insane. Then I went shopping. But with strict orders from the man of the house not to spend any money (wah-whuh), even that got old after I'd oogled over the fourth thing I wanted to buy. So, I came home to clean out the freezer, organize under the kitchen sink, and better organize an already organized cabinet. Today I washed the dog, which is always an adventure in and of itself.

But I digress. Today is Mother's Day, one of my favorite days of the year. It's a day that since I have become a mother myself, I have always considered to be more about my children than about me. I certainly have a lot to be thankful for, and definitely at the very tippy, tippy top of that list is the gift of being a mother. It truly is an honor. And it's all thanks to my 1 and 9.75/10 children that I get to celebrate this day. Being a mother is the reason I get to thank God every night for making us a family; no matter how many times Marin has tested my patience, or baby 2.0 refuses to budge from my apparently comfortable womb. To me, Mother's Day is a celebration of the miracle that is our family. And for it, I am forever grateful.

Add to this that I have my extraordinary mother and grandmother to celebrate today, that the sun is shining, that Marin randomly said to me today, "I love you, Mommy! I have a kiss?", and that I started my day with my sister-in-law Katy's to-die-for-homemade-takes-four-hours-to-make cinnamon rolls, and my happy pretty much is running over.

Happy Mother's Day to all you fabulous moms out there! I truly hope that your day is your own version of cinnamon rolls and baby kisses, and that it's an excellent day with your families.

Now if I can just have this baby...

4 comments:

Georgine said...

Both my kids were late, and you know, my labors were fairly easy (especially Chucky). So think of it that way. And if you think Labor will be easy, it will be - you know, the power of positive thinking and all. Happy Mother's Day and I hope your bundle arrives soon. If not, there is always my fridge.......

Lindsay said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of the best mommies I know! Marin and baby #2 are so lucky to have you! (As is Jason!)
Love you and thinking about you every second of every day as you patiently wait!!

The Vlachs said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!! Glad you had such a terrific day. I envy having your To Do List done!

(I'm about to the point of checking your blog hourly to see if you're at the hospital yet...) :)

Jessica said...

Maybe baby 2 was waiting for Auntie Molly...or maybe its a boy??? my boys always made me wait. And I was NO GOOD at that either. I drove Jay crazy. I feel for you...try to hang in. I too am checking the blog more frequently than usual!!