Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Inevitable

Well, I knew this day would come (this is Molly, by the way).

Today, Marin’s birthday, I woke up just like any other day, and went about my normal schedule. Around 9am, I decided it was late enough to text Jo to wish Marin a happy birthday. As I was typing, a strange urge came over me: the urge to relay a “Two years ago today” story. Hence, today marks the day that I officially became my mother. My mom (like many of yours, I’m sure) has a ridiculous ritual of calling my sister and me on our birthdays (sometimes at the actual time we were born, which for me is the ripe old hour of 4am) and telling the “XX years ago today” story, which always elicits a groan and eye roll.

So here I am, dangerously close to the 9pm hour that Marin was born, thinking about Marin’s “2 years ago today” story. Completely ridiculous, especially given that Marin would have no idea what I’m talking about. But at least she can’t roll her eyes [yet].

Luckily for Marin, most of the story is written on this very blog, which prevents me from taking yet another step closer to I-am-my-mother-ness by embellishing the temperature, amount of snow, or number of hours we waited for her in the waiting room. Yet, somehow the feelings from that morning are still fresh in my mind: getting the call around 8am Sunday morning, cursing the Zipcar website (which was somehow down during the most important moment ever), freaking out at a cab driver, and finally breaking down in tears when I got to the hospital front desk. (Brian loved this 45-minute roller coaster of emotions, I can assure you). I guess this freshness is the reason my mom and I can’t help but attempt to re-tell the story every year, making it a little sweeter each time.

Happy birthday, Mare – here’s looking at you (and me), kid!

xoxoxo,
Auntie Molly

3 comments:

Liz Delzell said...

So sweet... Marin is a lucky girl to have an auntie like Molly!!

Johanna said...

That was the MOST adorable post ever, Auntie Molly! I am SOBBING. Partly remembering the day myself, partly for the love that you have for Marin. We are all so lucky to have you in our lives. Marin arrived 14 minutes from now, 2 years ago today.

Jessica said...

Auntie Molly is the BEST ever. We are all lucky to have her. So sweet. I was sobbing too by the way.
Happy Birthday to Marin. Cant wait to see the party pictures and all the fabulous details.