Sunday, January 30, 2011

Uninvited Guests

Dear Evil Creature Insomnia,

Who invited you? Seriously. Kindly pack your bags and ship on out of here. As in, GET OUT. Now. Please.

It's bad enough that I wake up multiple times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I don't need you hanging around afterwords leaving me to just stare at the ceiling. Now don't go blaming this all on my bladder. She may be what knocks me out of dreamland, but you make it seem impossible to ever get back there. The problem is, insomnia, when you settle in and decide to stick around, I begin to think... about the laundry, and all the things that need to be done. I begin to wonder if I am working enough with Marin on her colors and number. I redecorate entire rooms in our house in my mind. I daydream about the design of our master bedroom addition someday (and yes, its completely decorated in my mind, too.). I debate if I still like the boy and girl names we have picked out. I decide to call my Grandma in the morning.

I have taken to jotting the important things you bring front of mind, in the calendar of my phone by my bedside, in the hopes that I can drive you away and go back to sleep. But sometimes you stick around for hours. Really, please. It isn't kind.

Now, I understand that times are tough and that you have a job to do. However, perhaps you'd be better suited to bring energy to someone else in the middle of the night. Say, a new mother. My neighbor, Kristy, just had a baby; did you mean to bring her the extra boost at 2am? Because until my baby comes, there really is no point in us both she and I being up in the middle of the night.

Thank you in advance for never returning again.
Johanna

Now, while we're at it...

Dear Bladder,

I know that we've been through some changes together in the last two years. After all, the birth of Marin really did a number on both you and your friend, my abs. And I realize that my being pregnant again isn't doing either of you any favors. That being said, I was hoping that you could maybe man up and getting a little stronger. I really can't be woken up three times in the night to go to the bathroom. Plus, your buddy insomnia is being a little you-know-what. Let's just say that she's being a chip. Turns out she's stubborn. So you see, if you stop waking me up, she won't be able to keep me up.

What's that? Now now, don't go blaming the kegels. I'll deal with them later. You are at least half to blame here. There is just no reason for me to wet my pants when I sneeze. I'm a grown woman. Plus, I don't have that many pairs of pants that fit.

Thank you very kindly. Now hit the gym for strength training.
Johanna

And just one more...

Dear Kegels,

I know, I know. I haven't done a kegel exercise since 2008. Can you work with me? Perhaps we can meet in the middle? I'll start to do my exercises if you promise to work with my bladder to make me stop wetting myself? What do you say, old buddy? Is it a deal?

Your Truly,
Johanna

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hysterical. Love this post.
I too had BAD pregnancy insomnia. Many of the same things ran through my head. I started watching HGTV in the middle of the night. Not sure if that helped or hurt. I think hurt bc amazingly HGTV says "good night" at 4am in the morning. Trying to go to bed after that just left me thinking of more remodeling projects!
And yes, why do we have all that time awake before the baby. Cruel joke.
Dont even get me started on the other topics.

The Vlachs said...

YES YES YES!!!!! I'm right there with you girlfriend. I'm awake HOURS of the night several nights a week. Hilarious post - loved it. I'll think of you when I'm awake tonight.... :)