Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Football Season Kickoff!

We headed down to Champaign, Illinois on Saturday; home of my Alma Mater, the University of Illinois! Our opponent was Jason's Alma Mater Southern Illinois University. It was a day of good fun, great friends and an usual football rivalry between Jason and me.

Since Jason grew up near Champaign, he really is a huge Illinois fan- more so than myself, to be honest. But since he went to SIU, Saturday was his day to represent the Salukis in his maroon and white. Marin cheered for the Illini, mostly because I dressed her, but also because her ratio of alumni relatives Illinois to SIU is 10:1.

Since it was a night game, we enjoyed a nice long day of tailgating- both with our friends Rich and Lindsey and also with Jason's parents. Aunt Vee graciously picked Marin up about an hour and a half before game time, and she and Marin and Uncle Bob had a great time at a sleepover together on the farm. Jason brought all of the fixings for genuine Winston's bagels, a late night treat for SIU students, designed by a guy with a portable bagel cart and grill that students line up for blocks and wait even in the freezing winter for- grilled bagels topped with cream cheese, sunflower seeds, raisins, bacon bits, cucumber, apple, onion, garlic salt, cinnamon and butter. Jason introduced me to Winston on a trip to Southern years ago, and I have to say, based on rave reviews by Saluki and Illini fans alike, I think Jason played the part of Winston well. Jason and I season seats are with my mom and dad, and we loved watching the game together and singing our Alma Mater cheers. Illinois proved the game's victor and although we skipped reliving our youth in campus town, we hit the downtown Champaign bars to celebrate with our age group. And to prove that our college days weren't totally lost, we ordered a round of pokey sticks before we fell asleep in the hotel.

Oskee Wow Wow Illinois!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Jay and I had a similiar rivalry this past weekend....Pats vs. Bengals.
Jay and Jack both denied their love for the Pats though...we'll see what they have to say next weekend.
Looks like you all had a great trip and Marin couldnt look cuter in her outfit!

mia basile said...

Her cheerleader outfit is adorable. I sure wish I could put Colin's hair in a barrette, seems so helpful.

miabasile said...

I just read this part over and I just don't get it? Haven't these people ever heard of pizza?

"grilled bagels topped with cream cheese, sunflower seeds, raisins, bacon bits, cucumber, apple, onion, garlic salt, cinnamon and butter"

Is that all on one bagel? Sounds like something you would eat in the privacy of your own home.

The Vlachs said...

No Marin does NOT have an Illini cheerleading outfit on?!!!??!! It's too cute I'm hyperventilating. I love her. So glad you had a blast at the game. The further away from college I get, the more proud I am of being an Illini -- it's kind of awesome, isn't it? I-L-L.... :)