Monday, November 30, 2009

"I Like Your Baby, Honey!"

The Friday before Thanksgiving, (November 20th), my Grandma Meyer passed away. At 96, she lived a very good and very full life.

On the coattails of Thanksgiving, I was able to reflect perhaps more than I would have under normal circumstances, about how thankful I was for her life, and my own. I am so thankful for every day we had with my Grandma. For the sweet way she would ask me, "What do you know, Johanna?" for the way she pointed out the birds from her chair, or commented on my outfit; especially when it was pink, her favorite color by far. But maybe what I am most thankful for, is that she was able to meet Marin.

My Grandma had Alzheimer's, and although it wasn't the worst case known to man, it was pretty advanced in the last few years. She didn't always remember that she had met Marin before, or what her name was, or even necessarily always connect that Marin was her great granddaughter; but I know she loved her all the same. I was asked to give my Grandma a eulogy at her funeral last week. And in the eulogy I said how much my Grandma lit up around Marin. She loved to hold her and watch her play. And every time she saw her, she would lean in close to me, touch my arm sweetly and say, "I like your baby, honey." I hope that I never forget the way she said that.

Marin's first Thanksgiving was a happy one. We went to my Grandma and Grandpa Martin's home for Thanksgiving. My Grandma and Grandpa Martin are 89 and 91 and continue to insist on preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 12 people. And it is all fresh, beautiful food prepared from scratch and served at the loveliest of tables. I am very thankful to be able to return to that table year after year. Everyone should be so lucky to have grandparents like my Grandma and Grandpa Martin. They are the absolute best!

And I am thankful for the people who shared our tables this weekend. My parents, who are always wonderful to Jason and I, have been so especially this year, as we have been renovating our house. My brother and his wife, my in-laws, and sister in law, Lindsay, have all helped us at every turn that was humanly possible. My Aunt and cousins were all in for my Grandma Meyer's funeral, and although that wasn't under the best of circumstances to see one another; it was so fun to be together- along with my Uncle, my parents and Jake and Katy- celebrating Grandma's life and recounting all the times she made us laugh.

I am thankful for my friends. You are one in a million. I am thankful for the many, many laughs we share.

I am thankful for our home, and for as perfect a move as possible. I am thankful for every bit of sweat that has been poured into our home. For every worker (friend or hired) who has passed through the door and has taken pride in the work that they have completed. I am especially thankful to Jason for literally bleeding love into our home. For working every single free second he has on building a beautiful home for our family.

And of course, I am thankful for my little angel love, Marin. Who has brought so much joy to everyone in the past few weeks. Babies should be a requirement at every funeral. It should be part of the package sold to you by the funeral directors. Because there is just no match for their innocent smiles, and their unwavering comfort, and their boundless love.

I feel very blessed. For the life I live and the people I share it with past and present. And I am thankful for the phrases like, "I like your baby, honey!" that make me smile again and again.

2 comments:

miabasile said...

"I like your baby, honey." That was so sweet, I could cry. She sounds special.

The Vlachs said...

Your grandma sounds like she was very very special to you...and you were to her. I'm certain you gave a moving eulogy. And I can't imagine all the joy that Marin brought to her funeral, which is a celebration of a life well lived. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. So sorry for your loss, Jo. Love you, Meg