Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Marin's First Day of Kindergarten!!

Somehow I blinked and all of the sudden Marin is going to Kindergarten full day and John is turning one.  How did this happen?

Marin is so ready.  And I'm glad for the full day option.  Part day was shorter than her preschool was. It's just silliness.  But it doesn't change the fact our family will never be the same.  Specifically my role, as mom, will never be the same.  My good friend Lara once described it as, "the end of something very special"  It's the perfect way to describe it.  Never again will all of my babies be home with me all day.  Never again will I be able to control exactly what they do all day.  Or who hurts her feelings, or be able to kiss every booboo.  I know she's not exactly going off to college, but she'll be gone for 7 hours each day.  That's a long time away from her mama.

The first morning she admitted to me, "I'm a little bit nervous."  And I sat her on my knee and stroked her hair and told her that she was a kind little girl with a beautiful smile and that she was going to make friends easily.  I told her all she had to do was to smile and say, "hi".  Then I proceeded to give her a list of all of the people that she knew that I had met in Kindergarten.  And all of the people that she knew now that she had once not known.  To which she responded, "Mom, I think we're wasting a lot of time."  She was right.  I told you she was ready.

She was nervous at first.  We put her on the bus and then raced to school like the other moms and dads do to meet her at her line letter and walk with her in to school on the first day.  She was quiet on the playground that first day.  But after we walked into her classroom she found a little girl she knew from preschool and I heard her lean over and whisper to her and another girl, "Guess what?!  My mom put jelly beans in my lunchbox!"

I have since met another mom who has a daughter in Marin's class and she shared with me that when Marin met her she tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Can I tell you someping?  Our backpacks are from the same store!"  Instant friends.  If only everyone could get along as easily as they do in Kindergarten.

Marin LOVES Kindergarten.  I don't even have to wake her up in the (early) morning to get ready for school now.  She set out her outfit the night before and gets dressed first thing in the morning.  The first day she came twirling off the bus happy as could be proclaiming, "I LOVE Kindergarten!  I LOVE it!  I can't WAIT to go back tomorrow!"

Let's hope this enthusiasm holds through college.  :)

































1 comment:

The Vlachs said...

Yay, Marin! Glad she loved it!! It's truly just as big a transition for mama as it is for our kindergartener, isn't it?